Jun 15, 2012

Paper doll blocks

I started taking the Paper Doll quilt class from Lori Holt at Material Girls quilt shop  in the fall of 2009, with my daughter Lindsay.
I was only able to attend two or three classes because we moved to Florida.  I put this quilt on the back burner because it was a memorable and busy year for us....four grand daughters were born within seven months of each other.  I made each of them heirloom blessing gowns with matching bonnets, and flew back to Utah for each of the births.  One of them lived with us, so that was really nice!
I have been working on the blocks here and there.  The blocks are appliqued and hand embroidered.  I just finished one this past week.


Isn't it adorable?  I named the paperdolls after my two oldest girls, Rebecca and Lindsay.  They were born 16 months apart and did everything together, wore matching clothes (thanks Mom!) and even shared the same friends most of the time when they were young.
I only have three blocks to go, so I decided to complete the applique on both of them and I can just take them with me and do embroidery on the go.




This quilt will be so gorgeous when it is finished!  The border has little white pom pom trim, and each outfit the paperdolls wear and each activity they go to, are so detailed.




For instance, look at the jumprope.  It looks like rick rack with handles.


I use two strands of embroidery floss and stitch each rick and each rack, and the jumprope has dimension!




We have two road trips planned in the next month.  I hope to get a lot of embroidery done so I can show you the rest of the blocks and maybe actually finish the quilt!

post signature

2 comments:

  1. I love this block and would love to see any more you have created. Thinking of making a paper doll quilt for my grandaughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find your email, and hope you see this reply. I will post some more of my paper doll blocks soon. Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete