Oct 24, 2012

The Farmer's Wife quilt

After almost two years, I finished "The Farmer's Wife" quilt!
I wrote about it here and highlighted each of the blocks.
To see the quilt before it was machine quilted, go here and scroll down a little.
My friend did a beautiful job with the quilting!
I am going to add jumbo rick rack.


I wanted the rick rack to be next to the binding.


I had to cut the ricks off the racks so that I could attach the binding.


Here is my little pile of jumbo ricks.


Originally, I wanted to use a little black print for the binding.
I looked at a few quilting shops and couldn't find one that I liked.
I needed a color that matched the red border, the yellow jumbo rick rack, and the lavender back.  Finally, I settled on mint green.


I think the jumbo yellow rick rack looks really good with the 1930's Aunt Gracie prints that I used in the quilt.


It's easier to show you corners of the quilt...


.....because it's difficult to capture the entire quilt with my camera!


See what I mean?  I laid the quilt on the floor and stood on a chair.


This shot is a little better but not great.


I found this fabric on clearance, it is Sarah Jane's Children at Play, which is a favorite of mine.  


There is a lot of lavender in the blocks, so this fabric was perfect for the back.
"The Farmer's Wife" quilt was a labor of love.  I was going to give it away but I don't think anyone would appreciate it as much as me!


Thanks for sharing my journey with me :)

post signature

10 comments:

  1. That's an awesome binding! Love that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful quilt. The rick rack finishes it up just perfect. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the addition of the ric rac. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your FW turned out sew beautifully Cynthia...love the ricrac!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the ric rac. Such a beautiful quilt and a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your addition of the jumbo ric rac for the FW quilt. I still need to get mine quilted, and you have motivated me to pull it out and get going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your FW is so sweet! congrats on a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really pretty. The quilting is so nice too! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very pretty and I love the quilting too! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete