Jan 9, 2013

Quilted Wall Hanging

I wanted to design a wall hanging for my new grand daughter.  
Looking through my fabric stash, I found a really cute Japanese print.  I thought it would be perfect to design the wall hanging around.
This is the print, shown in two photos.



I drafted up a design with tons of calculations, and was set to go.


I framed the print in white and chose seven colors to match the print. Then  I made half square triangles and sewed them all the way around. I sewed another white border to make the colors pop.


I'm sorry for the lack of photo cropping but I'm not using my personal computer for a couple of weeks.
I sewed a red border, a print, and another red border with blue squares in each corner.  
It was difficult choosing fabric for the printed pink border, the color value had to be just right.  I wanted the print and the triangles to be the focal point.  


I found a great piece of pink fabric in my stash that worked perfectly for the back.


I outline quilted the prints with white thread.
I used a free motion quilting foot for the curvy areas.


I quilted little flower designs in the white areas.


I did a lot of machine quilting and I am happy with the look.


I like the crinkly look on the back!


I can see the sun and the clouds and the triangles :)


I made the binding from each of the colors used in the triangles.
I made two times as much as I needed, so I will just keep the rest for a mini quilt.


I sewed the binding on by machine.


Then I sewed the binding by hand on the back of the quilt.


The colors in the quilted wall hanging match the throw carpet in the  baby's bedroom.  The quilt measures 30" long and 36" wide.

post signature

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty... you really amplified the panel print...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I think you did a great job highlighting that Japanese print!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Japanese print. She will have such happy memories of looking at a lovely wall hanging and knowing it was specially made for her by grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great way to use such a fantastic print. Your granddaughter is sure to adore it!

    ReplyDelete