Jun 27, 2012

Mini Granny

I have been dying to make a granny quilt but haven't had the time.  Instead, I made a mini granny table topper.  I have a large Ikea box with small scraps and another large box with large scraps.  Not to mention all the other fabric I have, but right now I will concentrate on my scrap boxes....lol!  I rummaged through my box of small scraps and cut l l/2" squares of reds, pinks, blues, greens and yellows.  I wanted  an  orange block but unfortunately, I don't have many orange scraps.




It takes 26 squares of colored fabric for each block, and 25 squares of white.




I love my design boards, I really really love them!  I used the tutorial from Lori's blog.  I also made two large ones which I use a lot too.




I think I only had to duplicate one print, I have a lot of scraps!!!


There is something so satisfying about cutting pretty fabrics and sewing them up, especially in miniature!




Something else I find very satisfying while I'm cutting and sewing, is chocolate :)




.....and more chocolate, until.......


.....all the chocolate is gone!  Yes, this bag of m & m's was my friend while I constructed this mini granny.


Yeah, all of my blocks are done, little mini 6 " blocks.  They are so cute and I enjoy looking at each and every print and remembering what I used them for.  Kennedy's dress, Lindsay's bag, Comforts of Home quilt, Christmas table topper, rainbow charm pack swap, swoon quilt, Rebecca's quilt, the farmer's wife quilt, Bridger's baby wall hanging, and on and on and on......the journey of a quilter :)


It almost looks like lace, doesn't it?  Now I am going to trim the blocks, leaving a l/4" seam allowance on all four sides.




This is my larger design board.  I love it and I use it a lot!
Now the blocks are ready to be attached using l " sashing.
I see more memories in the squares :) 


The quilt is pinned and ready to quilt.  I am going to hand quilt it, so it may be a while before I finish it as I have so many projects going at the same time, and I keep adding new ones.  I will get everything finished, it makes life more interesting when there are so many things to work on :) 
I am going to hand quilt this little table topper (25" square) with colored embroidery thread to match each block, in an outline stitch.
I love it, it's really colorful and happy!
By the way, I didn't make a dent in my box of small scraps...lol

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Funny how all these projects which are supposed to help use up our scraps don't make a dent in the pile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Estos bloques me parecen maravillosos!
    :)

    ReplyDelete